Although most of us never want to think about getting injured while driving on the road, unfortunately, accidents happen. In fact, thousands of people across the country are injured or even killed as a result of a car accident each and every day. Therefore, plenty of people find themselves unexpectedly in the need of a personal accident attorney. However, not all accidents are created equal. So, you may be wondering whether you should be hiring a personal injury attorney to handle your case. With that in mind, the following is an overview of how to decide just that.
What to do after an accident
Before we delve into the ways to know you need a personal accident attorney, let’s review the steps you need to take after an accident to ensure you are protecting your health and your own interests.
- Call the police: The first thing you need to do after an accident is call the police. No matter if you believe you are injured or not, contacting the police is the best way to document the incident. This will allow you to get police help in determining who is liable, and they may even take the time to interview witnesses. Also, since many people do not realize they are hurt or injured until the next day, calling the police is a great way to prove you were involved in a serious accident if you eventually need to seek medical attention.
- Exchange information: You should then exchange information with the other driver. Although they may not be very forthcoming, you need to request details such as their name, license plate number, insurance information, and/or email address.
- Take photos: Next, if you are not seriously injured, you definitely want to get out and take some photos. In case the other driver leaves before the police show up, taking the time to take photos will provide you with proof of who was involved in the accident, how the accident happened, and ultimately, who was at fault.
- Go to the emergency room: If you were in a bad accident and believe you may be injured; you should visit the emergency room. Since injuries sometimes occur internally or may take a while before they become symptomatic, going to the emergency room is the best thing to do to protect your health and document any and all injuries you have sustained.
- Contact your insurance company: You will also want to contact your insurance company to report the accident. This is because insurance companies often help drivers get money and repairs from the other party’s insurance company.
- Avoid signing, agreeing, or settling: Lastly, never agree to anything on the scene. The cost of the damages to your vehicle or yourself may not be immediately evident. Settling on the scene may be one of the biggest mistakes you’ve ever made.
How to know if you need a personal accident attorney
Now that you know what you need to do after an accident, here is how you know whether you need to hire a personal accident attorney:
- Your car is damaged: If your car was damaged as the result of an accident, a personal accident attorney can help you get these repairs completed quickly and free of charge.
- Medical costs and doctor’s bills: Another way to know you need to hire a personal accident attorney is that you have medical costs as a result of your accident. Medical bills can be quite expensive and if you were injured from an accident that was not your fault, you should not have to pay any of these bills.
- Lost wages: If you lost wages as the result of your accident or may lose wages in the future, a personal accident attorney can also help you receive compensation for these lost wages.
- Lost a loved one: Lastly, if your loved one was killed during an accident, you should definitely contact a personal injury attorney. This is especially the case if the driver was drugged or drunk, or if they were speeding or otherwise being reckless on the road.
Need help with an accident injury?
If you need help with an accident injury case, we have you covered. By entrusting your case with your friends here at Mann Law Firm, you will gain access to a team of professionals who are skilled at winning accident injury cases for people from all walks of life. There is never a need to go-it-alone or even rely on your insurance company to get you the compensation you deserve. If you want to hire a car accident attorney, we will provide you with a passionate professional who will go above and beyond to make sure your concerns are addressed. We have helped a wide array of our clients get compensation for damages caused by car accidents. Contact us today.