Losing a loved one is as painful as losing one’s own life. Many people find it difficult to recover from such experiences. The grief is so compelling that you want to take vengeance into your hands. The thought of helplessness and your inability to fix the situation makes it difficult to recover from the loss. But something more painful than this is losing someone you care about to the carelessness of another. It could be a drunk driver, careless doctor, inattentive nanny, poor construction or architectural design of buildings, etc. When the event leads to the untimely death of a loved one, your comfort resides solely in getting justice for them.
The legal proceeding can be very complicated, and depending on the case, the chances of getting justice might be slim. So, if you must pursue justice, you must hire the best legal counsel to handle the case.
Hire A Legal Counsel
As you pursue justice, it is essential to work with a law firm experienced in gathering, analyzing, and presenting evidence in such cases. An ideal law firm should have a lawyer who handles wrongful death claims like the wrongful death lawyer in Florence if that case happens to be in South Carolina. Such lawyers get to the bottom of careless death cases and make sure they have the victims compensated adequately. When you lose a loved one, you want to get justice on their behalf. These are a few things an experienced wrongful death attorney can do for you.
- Conduct a thorough investigation into the cause of death
- Analyze the damage to life, property, and image incurred for the ideal compensation plan.
- Submitting a carefully prepared demand for settlement and getting approval from the court.
- Presenting your case in a trial if need be.
- Disbursing funds to the beneficiaries of the compensation adequately to avoid chaos
- Resolving any medical bills accrued to the complainant in the name of the deceased.
Book Sessions With A Psychologist Or Counsellor
Asides from the compensation, you would need to see a psychologist or counselor who would help you deal with your grief. Everyone who has lost someone they care about needs some attention and time to heal. Many grievers do not know that they need help or some form of assistance. They go back to their regular lives and live without taking time to heal or address the loss. This affects them in three dimensions; cognitively, affectively, and behaviorally. Their thoughts are negatively affected by that loss and unknown to them; it plays out in their emotions. Once it gets emotional, it begins to show in their behavior. Several people have experienced mental breakdowns after losing a loved one. In the case of a careless death, some begin to hallucinate. It is similar to cases of trauma and witnessing tragic events.
Surround Yourself With Family And Friends
One of the best ways of recovering from losses is acknowledging what you still got. When you focus on the loss, it becomes difficult to see anything else. It is why a victim who has suffered a loss should not be left alone. The presence of family and friends can catalyze the recovery process. They can assist with activities and serve as a strong support structure for the griever.
Help Yourself To Personal Recovery
The recovery process is a journey you must take to a fresh start. It is essential to come to terms with the fact that life has to go on. Time is the healer of all hurts and pains. It takes a while to accept the loss. Sooner or later, you would feel less hurt when the thought comes to mind. Some ways to help yourself through the recovery process are
- Pick up a new hobby to engage your time.
- Take a trip to a place distant from where the event occurred.
- Buy yourself some new stuff – something you admire; it could be a car, phone, clothes, jewelry, or pet
- Start a new television series or set reading deadlines for yourself.
- Avoid sad songs, events, movies, or places where you might have to relive the pain.
- Join and participate in group or team activities
- Offer for volunteer roles. Such roles give you a sense of self-worth and reason to stay alive. They make you see yourself as part of something bigger and ignite purpose.
Sometimes the strength to go on is found in the settlement that you were finally able to get justice. If you are positive that the cause of death was due to carelessness and negligence, you must see that they get the justice they deserve. It is not for them only but for you.